We have to change
The current transformation from an industrial to a network-based economy is forcing companies to abandon old hierarchies and restructure their entire organisations. This change is also having an impact on how the world of work looks.
As a manufacturer of office furnishings, we at ophelis are intensively engaged with the changes and are considering how these global changes affect the design of working environments. The structural change, long discussed only in the media, is now a reality in companies – across all industries and organisational sizes. Only those who change will be successful in the future.
The factors of change
What drives the radical change process? A look at the different factors shows the complex connections and the multitude of facets:
- Starting point: Technical progress via the web and the associated digitalisation of our everyday lives and the world of work
- We are networked in all areas and can work anywhere
- Artificial intelligence and the automation associated with it leads to a great shift in activities
In the future, knowledge workers will have a fundamental importance to companies
- Changed motives: Career and money are no longer the focus for many workers
- Goal: To find a balance between work and leisure time and to enjoy their work
- Loyalty and commitment to companies is decreasing
- The desire towards self-determination is dominant
A new management and corporate culture is necessary
- Customer wishes must be reacted to faster
- Classic business models are put to the test in a wide variety of industries (automotive, banking, insurance, media)
- Individualisation of services is of enormous importance
The clearly noticeable pressure to innovate can no longer be managed by companies with the previous organizational forms
Studies predict that nearly half of all jobs in office and administration, service and sales in a highly developed society can be replaced by algorithms combined with robotics. However, knowledge workers will be more important than ever in organisations in the future. Because they are the ones who creatively develop innovations and solve needs. Advantages of the knowledge worker compared to intelligent software:
- Fast adaptability
- Creative thinking
- Context knowledge
The new role of the office
The office as a reference space
Work wherever we want, wherever we are: This freedom enables digitalisation and networking. This change gives the office a new role. The more structures and securities dissolve, the more important the office becomes as a reference and meeting place. The increase in virtual communication increases the need for physical meetings and face-to-face communication.
The office will become a place
- that brings people together
- where creative solutions emerge
- that gives people a change of scene psychologically
- for contact, communication and a hub of corporate culture
Modes and moods
Changing workspaces encourages dynamic, flexible and self-determined work at different locations, depending on the activity (modes), personality and mood (mood based). This brings more movement into the daily work routine.
More movement = stimulating for mental agility
- Movement helps to separate oneself from rigid work routines and thought patterns
- It increases efficiency, motivation and creativity and encourages creative exchange
Offices of the future are places of creativity. They are inspiring, flexible and promote new perspectives by actively providing a change of scene!
Designing dynamic offices
The success of agile teams is based on the diversity of people and skills – and in interior design. In order to concentrate in open-plan offices or to work within a group, employees develop different needs and habits. Being able to use different workplaces and workplace situations has a stimulating effect. Office space design is a key success factor, especially for flexible working methods, and has an influence on well-being, performance and loyalty, as the study “Office 21 Analytics” by the Fraunhofer Institute for Industrial Engineering (IAO) shows.
The workplace of the future is scenario-oriented. Dynamic, stratified models will replace inflexible structures. A modern working environment offers various surroundings which are matched to the type of activity. Your employees have the opportunity to choose their own working environment, depending on their mode of working (task) and current mood (personal temperament and preferences).
A well-designed working environment therefore offers different spaces for different requirements and promotes the transfer of knowledge, providing space for project work, retreat and communication. It increases attraction of the working environment increases and creates a pleasant working ambience in which your employees can feel comfortable.
Within an office landscape, all environments must be offered for the different working modes (activity based working) and for the different moods: This includes zones for
- Concentrated individual work
- Areas for communication
- Meeting places for informal communication
- Project work
With our product portfolio, we enable the comprehensive design of work environments in which the most diverse types and characters feel comfortable and teams with different requirements can work productively.
My workplace or desksharing
Ergonomic workplaces with visual and acoustic shielding are needed for concentrated work.
Space for spontaneous meetings, working and relaxing: In office landscapes, this space is both a flexible interface and an informal meeting place.
Multifunctional community spaces allow teams to work flexibly and non-territorially in changing constellations, even across departmental boundaries.
Visually and acoustically shielded areas offer individual employees as well as teams room for retreat, concentrated working and confidential communication.
A space for uninterrupted meetings: Acoustically shielded conference areas become fixed reference locations and support structuring in open space offices.
Tools and rooms needed for agile organisations
Classic project management is increasingly being complemented by agile methods, such as Scrum or Design Thinking; not only is this happening in IT development, but also in other business areas, such as product development, marketing and human resources.
Characteristics of agile working:
- Communication takes place across all hierarchical levels
- Work and communication do not take place in typical meeting rooms
- The room layout stimulates listeners and speakers to switch their roles often and spontaneously
- Working in short bursts leads to step-by-step results in the team and enables proactive action to a constantly changing environment
- Agile and creative project work requires short pathways and continuous, intense development within teams
Tools required for agile project work:
- Permanent adaptability
- Flexible systems with different components
- Support for analogue and digital workflows
- Multifunctional project areas
- Support for creative thinking processes
Far more than just gaining in flexibility and speed: Agile transformation represents a new way of organising work at all levels of the business. This requires the tools and spaces that promote exactly this type of project work and new flexibility, such as the product family ophelis deem.
Learn more about the topic and request our brochure “Everything in motion” or download the brochure.
Customers such as 50Hertz, HRS or Sony Music use the knowledge, concepts and products of ophelis for the contemporary redesign of their working environments. Together, we create office environments in which employees feel comfortable and enjoy optimum working conditions.
Electrification and self-retractable cable for easy mobile handling