- Each of our business decisions takes environmental considerations into account.
- Waste prevention is about reducing waste and reducing waste before recycling. We only dispose of an item where one of the previously mentioned options is not possible.
- Our efforts are focused in particular on environmentally compatible and economical production in order to reduce wastewater loads and quantities as well as emissions.
- We strive to cut costs through energy savings, which helps to alleviate the load on the environment.
- Our products should have no harmful effects on the environment and health during their use and operating life.
- Our stated aim is to minimise the impact of our production processes on the environment. We aim to reduce our environmental impact to the extent that we can economically justify.
- We train our employees and inform the public regarding our environmental goals and activities, and regularly publish an environmental report.
Products made in Germany
We produce at our site in Bad Schönborn, a health resort, and are therefore subject to particularly strict guidelines in the areas of noise and exhaust air emissions. ophelis is well below these limits. We source 100% of our raw materials and components from Western Europe, the majority from Germany. Ecological aspects are of course an integral part of our target planning.
ophelis products are of high quality and durability; they contribute to sustainability in this respect. In addition, our products can be separated according to type and recycled.
More and more people and organisations are looking for products that are durable and environmentally friendly. This is exactly what the Blue Angel stands for. The environmental label guarantees high standards for the protection of our environment and health – independently and credibly. ophelis work desks and storage systems with melamine surfaces are additionally certified according to the strict criteria of the Blue Angel UZ 38. In addition to the material components, the test also covers the production process right through to packaging and recycling.
The Blue Angel UZ 38 sets the following requirements:
- No release of harmful substances
- Use of wood from sustainable forestry and waste timber
- Free of halogen-organic compounds
- Harmless contact with food
- Careful handling of packaging
- Ensuring disposal or recycling
The entire company is heated by its own combined heat and power plant, which is fed exclusively with wood waste (renewable raw material) from production. ophelis has an almost CO2 neutral production.
Direct transport routes and reusable protective materials for transport are a further contribution to active environmental protection at ophelis.
Raw materials chipboard
We only use three-layer quality fine chipboard of emission protection class E1. Our supplier of particleboard complies with the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) standards. In the production of our chipboard, we use softwood (spruce, pine) and, in small proportions (< 10%), hardwood from certified sustainable forestry according to the PEFC system.
The FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) and PEFC (Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification Schemes) seals of approval guarantee that no tropical forests have been felled for the production of chipboard and that the wood used comes from sustainable forest management.
Sustainable forest management and the use of regional wood helps to preserve valuable biotopes, avoids transport and protects primeval forests.
We mainly use chipboard that has been produced according to the criteria of the “Blue Angel“-certificate. And, of course, comply with the other FSC and PEFC standards
“Blue Angel” is an eco-label of the German government, established 40 years ago. Independent and credible, it sets demanding standards for environmentally friendly products and services.
To get the “Blue Angel“ certificate the following requirements must be met:
- No release of harmful substances of concern
- Use of wood from sustainable forestry and waste wood
- Free from halogen organic compounds
- Harmless contact with food
Our supplier is certified according to DIN ISO 9001 and 14001.
Further plus points of our chipboards:
- a favourable energy balance,
- the production from renewable raw materials
- and the recyclability
The solid wood for our products comes mainly from German forests. All woods comply with FSC and PEFC standards.
We offer solid wood with oiled surfaces, which are embedded by hand with high-quality oils. The oils are biocide-free, harmless to humans and nature and without the use of paraffins, synthetic resins, preservatives or artificial waxes.
After treatment, the wood can breathe and the surface remains open-pored, which means that the wood can absorb and release moisture, thus ensuring a balanced room climate.
Minor damage and stains can be levelled by re-oiling.
Wood and wood coatings: Veneer production
We produce our veneer surfaces in-house with veneer experts – this is the only way we can meet our high quality standards. We only use sliced veneers of the highest quality.
We purchase our veneers exclusively from FSC and PEFC certified supplier partners, thus ensuring that the wood used comes from sustainable forest management. We do not use tropical wood.
Our veneers are either oiled or varnished. Oiled veneers are embedded by hand with high-quality oils. The oils are biocide-free, harmless to humans and nature and without the use of paraffins, synthetic resins, preservatives or artificial waxes.
Our textile collection includes a large number of woollen fabrics. Wool is a naturally renewable resource and is biodegradable. By nature, wool is flame retardant, dirt repellent and very durable. Wool is a pleasantly soft and breathable fibre.
The majority of the fabrics in the ophelis textile collection have been awarded the EU Eco-label. In the textiles sector, it defines requirements for environmentally friendly processes along the entire production route.
Transport and packing
Our furniture is delivered assembled and unpacked.
For transport safety, we use reusable materials in accordance with our basic ecological principles. We see it as our responsibility to take back any materials we bring back to secure transport and to return them to our cycle for reuse. We are also able – depending on customer requirements and local conditions – to deliver our products flat packed (only pre-assembled) and to carry out the final assembly on site.
We also work closely with our suppliers and use multi-cycle systems.
Take-back and recycling
Regarding the redemption and recycling of old furniture, we cooperate with a partner who is specialised in the professional disposal and return to the cycle or reuse of furniture and has been successfully active in this sector for many years. The materials of all our products can be separated according to type and recycled.